Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Who visits a farm at night?


Here’s the deal. We needed free range turkeys and chickens so that we could use them in our new sandwiches, so we took off and five hours later we arrived on a farm in Hartland Michigan.
While my friend Melissa was pretty calm once we arrived at the farm, I was acting like a kid in a candy shop. It was so cool. I’m such a city boy.


The farmers were nice and hospitable. After touring the farm we got some great deals on Free Range turkeys and chickens and also purchased some ham. I tried their pork roast as well which was good. I don’t eat a lot of ham but I have to say it was very moist and flavorful. We got a chance to view the chickens walking around freely (not stuck in a cage where they hardly can turn around.) and they looked very healthy. When this farm says it's free range, they mean it. We were greeted by a few chickens that walked up to us. The chicken ate grass and seed. No corn. This comes through in the taste


We woke the pigs up to see how they looked. Seemed like they were a mixed breed which I’ve heard is easier for the farmer to raise.




The lambs looked like they were in good shape too.


It was cool because we were able to get some nice radishes and mixed greens

No comments:

Post a Comment