Monday, February 15, 2010

Spicy Vegetarian Jerk Chicken sandwich with Mango Garlic Aoli spread, smoked Gouda & Crispy lettuce with Crispy fried Tempura onions made with Guiness



Here's something that you can do. Make a meatless vegetarian dish and tell the person that your making it for that your dish has loads of meat in it. After they try it, they'll probably mutter things like “I didn’t know vegetarian dishes could taste this good” And “wow, I’ve never tasted anything like this” blah blah blah. I happen to be a meat eater and I contest that most places are made for people who eat meat. Most restaurants who do carry vegetarian dishes limit them to lettuce, a few tomatoes and maybe a veggie burger. Its pretty much one level below the kiddie meal (which usually consist of chicken nuggets shaped like dinosaurs, french fries and a hot dog) which is totally uncreative. What I've found is that the restaurants that specialize in Gluten free, Vegan or vegetarian dishes cost more than your average restaurant (do to inventory prices and the fact that they know “you need them”)

I decided to make something that I would eat. After wet rubbing my meatless chicken strips with a very spicy jerk sauce. I let the meat marinate for a day. Since meatless chicken breast is usually skinless, I added olive oil to it to help give it depth an a bit more flavor. I even added some smoke flavor to the jerk marinade. The chicken strips were extremely spicy so I whipped up some Mango aoli using Mango Puree, garlic and real mayonnaise (no not Hellman's) I should have real crushed mangos as well but I was too tired to run to the store. I melted the smoked gouda over the chicken breast strips. The Semi sweet cool tasting mango aioli worked well with the hot jerk flavor. I was tempted to add onions to this batch by creating a tempura batter made with Guinness beer which adds a great crunch. It worked out well and will probably be a creation that I will keep. I still had to stay up until 1 a.m. studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment